Turn your FCB1010 into a customized MIDI controller for your V-Amp series effects
- Customized to control the V-Amp Pro, V-Amp 3, V-Amp 2, and V-Ampire
- Three Modes, easily switched between using the Up/Down pedals:
- Effect Mode: Turn individual effects inside the V-Amp series on/off (Pre-FX, Drive, FX, Delay, Wah, Reverb, Post-FX, Gate, Amp, & Tap Tempo), with On/Off state of V-Amp's effects reflected on FCB1010 pedal's LEDs
- Preset Mode: Enter preset A-E using pedals 1-5, Decrement/Increment Bank using pedals 6 & 7, Tuner on/off with pedal 10
- Favorite Preset Mode: Allows you to store and recall your 10 favorite presets with the push of a pedal!
- Expression Pedal Calibration supported
- Diagnostic Power-on mode for functional assurance
- FCB1010 overlay label for intuitive control
- Glow-in-the-dark pedal labels
- MIDI activity & MIDI cable connection LEDs
This block diagram shows the connections and default settings.
What is it?
The VamPROM replaces the memory chip in your Behringer FCB1010, turning it into a customized controller for your Behringer V-Amp Pro, V-Amp 3, V-Amp 2, and V-Ampire.
Is VamPROM hard to install?
No, it just takes 5 minutes and a screwdriver. Here's a video showing you how to do it:
So, no more programming the FCB1010?
What do I need for this setup?
A Behringer V-Amp series effect processor, a Behringer FCB1010, and two MIDI cables.
How does it work?
The VamPROM-ized FCB1010 operates in 3 modes, customized for the V-Amp series MIDI implementation.
What are the three modes?
1) EF, or Effect Mode
This mode allows for the user to directly turn individual effects on and off using the pedals on the FCB1010. The effects include Pre-FX, Drive, FX, Delay, Wah, Reverb, Post-FX, Gate, & Amp. The LED associated with that pedal displays the state of that effect. (It reads the effect state from the V-Amp. So if you were to change to a new preset, the pedal LEDs will instantly reflect that new preset's effect state. Cool, huh?) Tap Tempo is also accessible from this mode.
2) Pr, or Preset Mode
Pedals 1-5 are Presets A-E. Pedals 6 & 7 are Bank decrement/ increment (hold either down to scroll through the banks). Easy, right? And pedal 10 toggles the tuner on/off.
3) FP, or Favorite Preset Mode
We really dig this mode - we think you'll like it too. Once you've entered a preset in Pr mode - you can assign that preset to a pedal in FP. To assign a pedal, just hold the pedal down for 5+ seconds. Fill all 10 pedals with your favorite presets. To recall them, just tap the pedal!
How do I move between modes?
Use the UP & DOWN pedal.
Tell me more about Effect Mode.
It's most easily described in a table:
How about the Expression Pedals?
The left pedal is assigned to the wah. The right pedal is assigned to volume.
How can I remember which pedal goes with which effect?
Labels come with the VamPROM to be placed on each pedal. And they are glow-in-the-dark, so you can even see them on a dim stage. A label overlay for the 7-segment display panel also comes with the package.
Do you have expression pedal calibration?
Yep! Calibration is performed just like you would with the standard PROM installed:
1) Keep switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit. (You'll see "CA" appear on the 7-segment display.)
2) Move the left expression pedal to the lowest position (heel closest to the ground - should see a number on display <10), then press the UP pedal.
3) Now move the left expression pedal to the highest position (heel furthest from the ground - should see a number on display >70), followed by pressing the UP pedal.
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 but with the right expression pedal. Normal power-on follows.
Both expression pedals are now calibrated! The values are stored in non-volatile memory in the FCB1010, so it'll remember the values even after it has been turned off.
Here's a great video from Brian Gerding (Benoni Studio) showing this in action on the 11PROM (it works the same for the VamPROM):
Anything else cool?
Actually, yes. We've included a diagnostic mode (initiated by holding 1 & 0 on power-up) that checks all of the pedals & LEDs in the box - it even checks the MIDI ports (connect a MIDI cable between FCB1010 MIDI out and FCB1010 MIDI in). You must power cycle the FCB1010 to leave diagnostic mode.
How do I operate the switch outputs?
The switch outputs are not currently implemented. Let us know if that would be a good future addition.
Does this work with the Bass V-Amp effects?
No, the MIDI implementation table is different for the Bass V-Amp devices. But we got it covered...
When I power up the V-Amp & the FCB simultaneously, I don't get a two way connection. Why?
The V-Amp takes a little bit of time to boot up. Give it 5 or 10 seconds before turning on the FCB.
Also, make sure the V-Amp is set up to send & receive on MIDI channel 1.
Where is the VamPROM made/manufactured?
The labels are manufactured and printed in the United States. The EPROM is programmed in the United states. The EPROM is of foreign origin.
How do you ship the VamPROM?
The VamPROM is shipped via USPS First Class Mail (no tracking), in a 6"x9" white Tyvek envelope. The envelope contains the VamPROM, the labels, the Quick Start Guide, and the PROM Upgrade Manual.
Have another question? Ask...
Firmware Version History & Details
- 1.0: Alpha release
- 1.1, 1.2: Beta release
- 1.3: First public release
- 1.4: Fixes minor issue with V-Amp 3 EF mode LEDs
- 1.5: More LED stabilization - no functional changes
If you have an earlier version of the VamPROM and would like to upgrade to the latest version of firmware: 1) Purchase as normal via the Purchase tab, then 2) Return the old VamPROM back to us within 30 days for a $10 rebate.
- Behringer V-Amp Pro
- Behringer V-Amp 3
- Behringer V-Amp 2
- Behringer V-Ampire
- Behringer's FCB1010
- Behringer's FCB1010 Mods - an inside look at the FCB1010
- FCB1010 UnO Firmware - a great general purpose PROM replacement
- iFCB -simplified programming for the FCB1010 with standard firmware
... to our beta testers, John Abram, Rick Quick, and David Tschirhart. You guys rock!