Turn your FCB1010 into a customized MIDI controller for your Bass V-Amp series effects
- Customized to control the Bass V-Amp and Bass V-Amp Pro
- Four Modes, easily switched between using the Up/Down pedals:
- Effect Mode: Turn individual effects inside the Bass V-Amp series on/off (Compressor, Pre-FX, FX, Drive, Wah, EQ, Denoiser, Amp, Tap Tempo, & Tuner), with On/Off state of Bass V-Amp's effects reflected on FCB1010 pedal's LEDs
- Preset Mode: Enter preset A-E using pedals 1-5, Decrement/Increment Bank using pedals 6 & 7, Tuner on/off with pedal 10
- Favorite Preset Mode: Allows you to store and recall your 10 favorite presets with the push of a pedal!
- Loop Mode: Use the internal looper, with up to 16 second loops. Record, overdub, reverse, 1/2 speed, normal speed, 1.5x speed, 2x speed, & 4x speed.
- Expression Pedal Calibration supported
- Diagnostic Power-on mode for functional assurance
- FCB1010 overlay label for intuitive control
- Glow-in-the-dark pedal labels
- MIDI activity & MIDI cable connection LEDs
This block diagram shows the connections and default settings.
And here's another video demonstrating "Loop Mode"
VamPROM Bass-user and uber-talented bass player Donald Waugh jamming with the looper:
What is it?
Is VamPROM Bass hard to install?
No, it just takes 5 minutes and a screwdriver. Here's a video showing you how to do it:
So, no more programming the FCB1010?
What do I need for this setup?
A Behringer Bass V-Amp series effect processor, a Behringer FCB1010, and two MIDI cables.
How does it work?
An FCB1010 with a VamPROM Bass installed operates in 4 modes, customized for the Bass V-Amp series MIDI implementation.
What are the four modes?
1) EF, or Effect Mode
This mode allows for the user to directly turn individual effects on and off using the pedals on the FCB1010. The effects include Compression, Pre-FX, FX, Drive, Wah, EQ, Denoiser, and Amp. The LED associated with that pedal displays the state of that effect. (It reads the effect state from the Bass V-Amp. So if you were to change to a new preset, the pedal LEDs will instantly reflect that new preset's effect state. Cool, huh?) Tap Tempo & Tuner are also accessible from this mode.
2) Pr, or Preset Mode
Pedals 1-5 are Presets A-E. Pedals 6 & 7 are Bank decrement/ increment (hold either down to scroll through the banks). Easy, right? And pedal 10 toggles the tuner on/off.
3) FP, or Favorite Preset Mode
Once you've entered a preset in Pr mode - you can assign that preset to a pedal in FP. To assign a pedal, just hold the pedal down for 5+ seconds. Fill all 10 pedals with your favorite presets. To recall them, just tap the pedal!
4) LO, or Loop Mode
You'll have hours of fun with this mode! A full functioning looper is contained in the Bass V-Amp, and with VamPROM Bass you can access it. Record a sample up to 16 seconds long, overdub, repeat play, play once, reverse it, change the speed - it's a blast!
How do I move between modes?
Use the UP & DOWN pedal.
Tell me more about Effect Mode.
It's most easily described in a table:
Is there any preset that shows off Effect mode well?
Try 21B - it has Compression, Pre-FX, FX, Drive, Wah, EQ, Denoiser, & Amp on.
Tell me about Loop Mode.
Most people probably don't realize there is a powerful & full featured looper in the Bass V-Amp. In LOop mode the FX is switched to Loop/Delay, and the 10 pedals get a new definition, described in this table:
Pretty cool, huh?
When I enter LOop mode the FX changes settings. Why?
Delay/Loop is one of 15 FX settings in the Bass V-Amp. VamPROM Bass automatically sets the FX mode to 'Loop' as soon as you enter LOop mode.
How about the Expression Pedals?
The left pedal is assigned to the wah. The right pedal is assigned to volume.
How can I remember which pedal goes with which effect?
Labels come with the VamPROM Bass to be placed on each pedal. And they are glow-in-the-dark, so you can even see them on a dim stage. A label overlay for the 7-segment display panel also comes with the package.
Do you have expression pedal calibration?
Yep! Calibration is performed just like you would with the standard PROM installed:
1) Keep switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit. (You'll see "CA" appear on the 7-segment display.)
2) Move the left expression pedal to the lowest position (heel closest to the ground - should see a number on display <10), then press the UP pedal.
3) Now move the left expression pedal to the highest position (heel furthest from the ground - should see a number on display >70), followed by pressing the UP pedal.
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 but with the right expression pedal. Normal power-on follows.
Both expression pedals are now calibrated! The values are stored in non-volatile memory in the FCB1010, so it'll remember the values even after it has been turned off.
Here's a great video from Brian Gerding (Benoni Studio) showing this in action on the 11PROM (it works the same for the VamPROM Bass):
Anything else cool?
Actually, yes. We've included a diagnostic mode (initiated by holding 1 & 0 on power-up) that checks all of the pedals & LEDs in the box - it even checks the MIDI ports (connect a MIDI cable between FCB1010 MIDI out and FCB1010 MIDI in). You must power cycle the FCB1010 to leave diagnostic mode.
How do I operate the switch outputs?
The switch outputs are not currently implemented. Let us know if that would be a good future addition.
Does this work with the non-Bass V-Amp effects?
No, that's the VamPROM.
When I power up the Bass V-Amp & the FCB simultaneously, I don't get a two way connection. Why?
The Bass V-Amp takes a little bit of time to boot up. Give it 5 or 10 seconds before turning on the FCB.
Also, make sure the Bass V-Amp is set up to send & receive on MIDI channel 1.
Where is the VamPROM Bass made/manufactured?
The labels are manufactured and printed in the United States. The EPROM is programmed in the United states. The EPROM is of foreign origin.
How do you ship the VamPROM Bass?
The VamPROM Bass is shipped via USPS First Class Mail (no tracking), in a 6"x9" white Tyvek envelope. The envelope contains the VamPROM Bass, the labels, the Quick Start Guide, and the PROM Upgrade Manual.
Have another question? Ask...
Firmware Version History & Details
- 1.0 Initial Release
If you have an earlier version of the VamPROM Bass and would like to upgrade to the latest version of firmware: 1) Purchase as normal via the Purchase tab, then 2) Return the old VamPROM back to us within 30 days for a $10 rebate.
- Bass V-Amp
- Bass V-Amp Pro
- Behringer's FCB1010
- Behringer's FCB1010 Mods - an inside look at the FCB1010
- FCB1010 UnO Firmware - a great general purpose PROM replacement
- iFCB -simplified programming for the FCB1010 with standard firmware
... to our beta testers Jon McCown & Richard Earley - you guys rock!